Sunday, April 11, 2010

Greetings from Poznan.........

What is it with me arriving for an Erasmus visit? My trip to Riga last May stated interestingly and, after a good journey to Poznan via Berlin, so did this one. I arrived at the office of the flat I had booked (cheaper than a hotel and all of those were booked anyway) to find it closed. No problem I thought, I'll just call them. I tried to use my shinny new Android phone only to discover that those nice people at Virgin had decided to block it from roaming, so all I could do was ring for an ambulance. Although a little concerned, I didn't think there was any need for that just yet. A little later, someone else with a suitcase in tow arrived along with the building security guard. The fellow traveller, who spoke no Polish, was looking for a completely different set of flats but the security guard, who spoke no English and had that wonderful demeanor of Polish officialdom, insisted that this was where he should be. My basic Polish helped resolve the situation and I was just about to ask if I could borrow the other flat hunter’s phone, when he and the security guard promptly left! Ch****a! No chance of getting a new SIM card as all the shops were shut, for obvious reasons. Just as I was beginning to think about ringing that ambulance the fellow flat hunter returned, thanked me for helping him and let me borrow his phone :-) 10 minutes later I was in my flat - phew!

No comments: